The Student News Site of Summer Creek High School

Creekside

Creekside

Creekside

Space Jam 2 Doesn’t Deserve a Witty Article Name

Courtesy+Image+
Courtesy Image

My first article of the New Year had to be this, of course. I wanted to do a basketball movie because basketball season just started and I thought Space Jam would be fun. Why was I so optimistic, I have no idea. I was gonna watch both at first, but only the second one was on Max so I sat down with a bowl of popcorn and tried my best.

I’ve never regretted something more in my life. 

For those who don’t know, Space Jam 2 or Space Jam: A New Legacy is a sequel to the hit classic Space Jam starring Michael Jordan and the Looney Tunes, just instead this time in Lebron James and he’s fighting evil AI Don Cheadle in a video game made by his son, pretty crazy. 

One of the only things I knew going into this movie was that Porky Pig raps at one point. As I was about to get to that scene,  I gave up. I was scared of the horrors that awaited me. Space Jam 2 of all movies has made me debate my reviewing ability.

It feels just like a fake movie, that’s the only way to describe it. It’s the weirdest, most peculiar movie I’ve ever seen because it feels like a fever dream watching it. It’s a commercial for Warner Bros as a company, not specifically the Looney Tunes, just all of their properties, and Lebron James at the same time, it’s so strange. 

Lebron James isn’t a very good actor and it’s made worse that he has to act against people that aren’t really there. It’s not his fault though, like Michael Jordan wasn’t very good in the original, and that’s totally fine because it’s all about the basketball, that’s the best part…..right?

Now I’m not a big basketball fan, I think I’ve seen 2 Toronto Raptors games on TV, but I am a big Looney Tunes fan and unfortunately, this movie is lacking in both of those departments. There are basketball scenes with the Looney Tunes and they’re almost good, sometimes there’s a good joke but the best way I can describe it is it’s like a shot looking really good and then being swatted out of the air. There’s a funny joke that will almost make you laugh, it almost goes in, but then another joke comes in and denies the first joke and it restarts, that’s this movie. 

The Looney Tunes are the perfect comedians, besides the Muppets of course, and they provide for pretty funny jokes, even in a basketball game, unless Porky Pig is saying “lit” and Granny is in the Matrix. The one thing I will say though is that Daffy Duck is like their manager I think and that’s legitimately the perfect thing for him to do on the team. 

But now, after all of that, I get to talk about how this movie ends. The first one ends with Michael Jordan stretching his arm across the court to dunk, pretty cartoonish but it works for the movie. This movie however takes such a sharp left turn, it goes off of a cliff and explodes. Bugs Bunny sacrifices his OWN LIFE so Lebron James can dunk on super robot Don Cheadle. I think you can describe this movie in just that one sentence so I’ll leave it there. 

If this was the only movie I had on a desert island, I would never watch it. It’s got to be like a 3/10, if the Looney Tunes weren’t funny, it would be like a 1 but some of the jokes are funny, not laughing funny, just worth saying “yeah that was pretty funny.” I did laugh at Bugs Bunny dying though and that’s not a sentence I’ve ever wanted to say. Hopefully I watch a better movie next time so if you have any suggestions, please send them at [email protected]

I hope that wasn’t too tangy and I hope you enjoyed it. Have a great day and thank you for reading!