The Student News Site of Summer Creek High School

Creekside

Creekside

Creekside

Ocean’s Eleven movie review

It has been a busy weekend for me and it’s going to be a busy week but I made sure to watch a movie so I can make a movie review for the seven people that read this. I made sure to watch a good one this week, one of my favorites actually, Ocean’s Eleven. This is the heist movie of all time, I honestly don’t think anything beats this in the genre. The only ones that come close are Baby Driver, another fantastic movie, Reservoir Dogs if you really consider that a heist movie, and probably Inception just for its concept alone. But if I could only watch one heist movie for the rest of my life, it’s Ocean’s Eleven.

Here’s the synopsis:

After Danny Ocean gets out of a four-year stint in jail, he returns to his thieving ways and plans a heist with a crew of eleven people to steal $160 million from three casinos owned by Terry Benedict, all at the same time.

The first standout of this movie is definitely the cast. George Clooney is arguably at the peak of his career here with “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” the previous year and a small role in the cinematic masterpiece that is “Spy Kids”. He’s amazing in this movie though, and plays the character of Danny Ocean incredibly. He always looks cool in a suit too. Julia Roberts is also in this movie as Tess, Ocean’s ex-wife, who’s now dating Terry Benedict, and they have a lot of good scenes together.

The two other main stars are Brad Pitt as Rusty Red, who plans the heist with him and is another excellent character who is almost always eating, and Matt Damon as Linus Caldwell, a professional pickpocket who is awesome because he’s Matt Damon. The rest of the team is great too. There’s Don Cheadle as an extremely British explosives expert named Basher Tarr and another highlight for me at least, Scott Caan and Casey Affleck as the constantly arguing Malloy brothers. The rest of the cast is amazing too but I don’t have enough time to get into it unfortunately.

Another thing that I think really works for this movie is the style. The transitions between scenes are done in a way that is hard to describe other than just cool. The music really adds to it too, that gives it a very Vegas feeling. There’s other songs like “A Little Less Conversation” by Elvis Presely and my personal favorite part of the movie uses the song “Clair De Lune” by Claude Debussy and it’s absolutely beautiful.

The heist itself is super entertaining too. You see the planning and the execution and it makes it all cooler. There’s eleven people involved in the scheme too so you see all the moving parts of it. People use disguises, special devices and one of them is an acrobat who does some really cool things. The best part though is that you never know if the heist is going to actually work, just like most heist movies, but it’s especially cool here I think. 

This is the first movie of a trilogy, and while I love all three of them, this is definitely the best. I reviewed it this week because it just came out on HBO Max so if you are interested in it or just want to watch a funny movie, I’d definitely recommend watching it and the sequels if you enjoy it, especially with Spring Break next week. I should be back after the break with a MEGA REVIEW of everything I watched but we’ll have to see. Until I write another review, have a good week and a week off and thank you for reading.