The Student News Site of Summer Creek High School

Creekside

Creekside

Creekside

Bulldog Orchestra gains another accolade

Courtesy+Image+
Courtesy Image

The Orchestra Program bathes in recent accolades as another national recognition glistens on their belt. Summer Creek’s chamber orchestra received the Foundation for Music Education’s Mark of Excellence through submitting some of the most beautiful performances they had to a panel of judges, making them one of only six high school string orchestras in the country to receive this award.

“It’s the best of the best going for this, fighting each other,” orchestra director Mr. David Irish said of his group’s accomplishments.

The 49-member chamber orchestra is comprised of students like senior Thomas Feng who serves as the concert master of the group and is responsible for leading the orchestra in playing and style. While many minds could wander to other places as they let skill and muscle memory preside, Thomas doesn’t. 

“I worry about cues, about shaping, about the beautiful, and sometimes not so beautiful parts of music,” Feng said.

He continues to describe his headspace during a performance.

“I’m not thinking about what I’ll get for lunch, or my past test grades, or my next test,” Feng said.

Feng’s phenomenal playing is due to his dedication for his craft, something that is shared by the entire group. 

This Mark of Excellence is not just the directors’ or Thomas’. This award goes to all of the individual and skilled players that make up this amazing orchestra. 

“Music is most enjoyed when focused on and a waste of time if it’s not,” Feng said.

To see the orchestra in action, join them on Dec. 16 for their send-off performance for the Midwest Clinic in Chicago.