The Student News Site of Summer Creek High School

Creekside

Creekside

Creekside

The team behind the team

Courtesy+Image+
Courtesy Image

The Bulldogs are full of talented athletes and sports teams. 

However, they wouldn’t flourish without one special component. 

The athletic trainers. 

The athletic trainers are the students on the sidelines of every sporting event. They treat  injuries, keep the athletes’ hydrated, and assist them in competing at their highest level. 

“I have been a trainer for two years,” senior Stephanie Ordonez said. “It has been such an amazing experience. Being on the fields and courts during the games is something special that not everybody gets to participate in.” 

Being a part of the training program has created bonds and friendships that will last past graduation. 

“I have made so many friendships through training that mean the world to me,” Ordonez said. “If I was never a trainer, I wouldn’t have met these amazing people.” 

Not only does being a trainer create fulfilling bonds, it also prepares students for the future. 

“I decided to become a trainer since I plan on pursuing a career in the medical field,” senior Diamond Smith said. “I have learned about the body’s abilities like patience, endurance, and more. These skills will definitely help me in the future.” 

According to Smith, the most important lesson she’s learned from being a trainer is to enjoy the moment. 

“The games we would go to would have so much build up and then feel like 20 minutes,” Smith said. “You’d blink and it was over. I’ve learned that it’s important to step back, realize where you’re at and enjoy it.” 

Despite the games being the main attraction, the bus rides also created memories. 

“During the bus rides back from games we would always blast music,” Ordonez said. “Our favorite song is ‘love’ by Keyshia Cole. Everyone would sing and dance and have a good time.” 

Being a trainer has impacted so many lives. Although sometimes overlooked, many programs wouldn’t be able to function without them. 

“I’ve met my role model and a strong figure in my life through training,” Smith said. “I’ve met younger people who have given me different aspects on how life is. It’s almost like having a school family.”